Becoming a Resident

To register as a Town of Salem, New Hampshire resident you must be at least 18 years old. If you are moving within Salem we do not need you to fill out a residency form, but we still need proof you are here.

Required Information

Please provide our office with a current driver's license or passport, and one of the following:

  • A current piece of mail with your name and Salem, New Hampshire address on it, dated within the past 30 days of the day you come in. No junk mail is accepted.
  • A current (within 30 days) digital utility bill with Salem, New Hampshire address on it - the name of the person registering must be on the bill
  • A recently signed lease if renting - both digital or hard copies are acceptable (no month-to-month leases or handwritten leases)
  • Amazon package dated within the past 30 days with the date clearly printed on the shipping label
  • USPS informed delivery email

If none of these situations apply to you, you can get a notarized letter from the owner of the property you are staying at, stating you are in fact living there.


If you cannot come in to register as a resident, we do provide this service online. Please scan and email your proof of residency documents. Please, if you are not new to Salem, do not fill out the Certificate of Residency form; this is only for new residents. Email the form to the Assessing Department and we will email you back letting you know the status of your application.