Fire Prevention & Inspection
Salem Fire Department's Bureau of Fire Prevention has four main functional areas including:
- Fire Prevention
- Fire Investigation
- Fire Safety Education
- Code Enforcement
- Health Codes
- Housing Standards
The Bureau of Fire Prevention/Inspectional Services is responsible for all plans review (new construction and existing remodels), all construction, final inspections for Certificate of Occupancy, Change of Occupant, fire alarm and sprinkler system inspections, and conducting inspections in existing buildings. View the following related documents:
The Bureau also administers the Salem Fire Department's licensing program for fire alarm, sprinkler, suppression, and hydrant service/installation technicians.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention determines the cause and origin of all fires occurring within the community. The Bureau, along with assigned detectives of the Salem Police Department and occasionally the New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office investigates all suspicious fires.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention is also responsible for the Town's Public Fire Education Program. If you would like a fire official to speak to your group or association, please contact Debra Scafidi at 603-890-2209.
The Town has adopted the following codes and standards as part of the Municipal Code along with the companion codes:
- International Fire Code 2015ed. Salem Municipal Code Chapter 260
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2018 edition Salem Municipal Code Chapter 314
- NFPA 1 Uniform Fire Code 2018 edition Salem Municipal Code Chapter 314
- The State of New Hampshire has adopted Saf-C 6000 NH State Fire Code
- The State of New Hampshire has adopted the International Building Code 2018 edition as the State Building Code