The Bureau of Fire Prevention exists under authority as granted in Salem Municipal Code (SMC) Chapter 260, Fire Prevention. This local ordinance established a "Bureau of Fire Prevention" operating within the Salem Fire Department.
In 2016 the Town of Salem Building Department merged into the Salem Fire Department creating the Inspectional Services Division.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention/Inspectional Services is responsible for all plans review (new construction and existing remodels), all construction, final inspections for Certificate of Occupancy, Change of Occupant, fire alarm and sprinkler system inspections, and conducting inspections in existing buildings.
The Bureau of Fire Prevention determines the cause and origin of all fires occurring within the community. The Bureau, along with assigned detectives of the Salem Police Department and occasionally the New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office investigates all suspicious fires.
Jacob and a friend won a fire truck ride to school while attending the Annual Fire Prevention Open House
Codes & Standards
The Town has adopted the following codes and standards as part of the Municipal Code along with the companion codes:
- International Fire Code 2015 ed. Salem Municipal Code Chapter 260
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2018 ed. Salem Municipal Code Chapter 314
- NFPA 1 Uniform Fire Code 2018 ed. Salem Municipal Code Chapter 314
- The State of New Hampshire has adopted Saf-C 6000 New Hampshire State Fire Code
- The State of New Hampshire has adopted the International Building Code 2018 edition as the State Building Code (Effective July 2022)
The Bureau of Fire Prevention is also responsible for the Town's Public Fire Education Program. If you would like a fire official to speak to your group or association, please contact Debra Scafidi at 603-890-2209.