Salem mixes small-town, rural living with the advantages offered by a city. The Town continues to grow and attract new commercial and residential development. The low tax burden separates Salem and NH from the adjacent Massachusetts communities. With no personal income tax, sales tax, use tax, inventory tax, estate tax, or capital gain tax, New Hampshire has one of the lowest overall tax burdens in the U.S.
All Statistics are from 2016 US Census American Community Survey unless noted.
- County: Rockingham County
- Population: 29,046
- Population density: 1,163.0 persons per square mile of land area, the sixth highest among the cities and towns in New Hampshire.
- Median Household Income: $79,451
- Median Resident Age: 44.6 years
- Square Miles: Salem contains 24.8 square miles of land area and 1.1 square miles of inland water area.
- Total Housing Units: 11,892
- Average Home Price: $337,100
- 2018 Tax Rate: $21.61/$1,000 (Department of Revenue Administration)
- 2018 Property Valuation: $4,403,238,701
- Education Attainment
- Population 25 and Older with High School diploma or higher: 92.0%
- Population 25 and Older with a Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.1%
- Cost Per Student: $14,845.75 (Department of Education; 2016-2017)
- Student-to-Teacher Ratio: 11:1 (U.S. News 2018)
- Graduation Rate: 95.3%
- Unemployment Rate: 3.6% (2017 NH Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau)
Top Jobs by Occupation
Source: New Hampshire Division of Economic Development
Salem is location 33 miles North of Boston, 26 miles from Manchester, 38 miles from Concord, 235 miles from New York City, and from 279 miles to Montreal, Canada. The Town's location offers easy access to I-93 and surrounding interstate highways such as I-495.
Recently renovated schools, with innovative STEM and Tech programs available to Salem and neighboring communities.
Salem Career & Technical Education Center
The Salem Career and Technical Education Center offer programs in:
- Automotive Technology
- Biomedical Science
- Business Pathway
- Computer Science/Technology
- Culinary Arts
- Digital Graphic Applications
- Salem High School
- Career and Technical Education
- Woodbury School
- Barron Elementary
- Fisk Elementary
- Lancaster Elementary
- North Salem Elementary
- Soule Elementary
Salem is located within a reasonable distance of many universities, colleges, and programs such as: