The rules and regulations established by the State of New Hampshire, Department of Environmental Services, Subsurface Bureau, and the Water Resource Management Bureau form a part of Salem Chapter 253 - Sewage Disposal Systems and Wells. A copy of the local regulations may be obtained at Town Hall or through the website. Permits must be obtained from the Health Department. Applicable State Regulations must be obtained through the appropriate State Department.
Septic System Designs
For Septic System Designs, the homeowner shall:
- Contact a State of New Hampshire Licensed Designer through the telephone yellow pages or from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services website.
- The designer must pay a permit fee and make an appointment with the Health Department to meet on-site with a backhoe.
- The designer is required to submit 5 copies of the septic design plan, along with the permit application and fee, to the Health Department for review. The State will not review the plans prior to Town approval.
- The Town will review and stamp plans, keep one copy for our files, and return 4 copies to the designer to be submitted to the State for approval. The State approval period is generally 2 to 3 weeks.
Septic System Installations
For Septic System Installation, the homeowner shall:
- Contact a State of New Hampshire Licensed Installer through the telephone yellow pages or from the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services website.
- Installer comes into Town Hall with the approved plans, pays a permit fee, and obtains an installation permit.
- The installer calls the Health Department with a 48-hour notice for the following:
- Bed bottom inspection
- Final inspection prior to backfilling