I can't find my vehicle's title. Where do I get a new one?

You can conveniently apply for a duplicate or replacement Title, and it takes no more than a few minutes of your time. In New Hampshire, titles are processed by the Division of Motor Vehicles - Bureau of Title and Anti-Theft. When you want to sell your car, you'll need to supply the vehicle title. Titles can become lost, stolen, damaged or illegible, necessitating their replacement. A duplicate title is easy to acquire with a few forms and supporting documents. Note: When there is a lien on a title, such as when the vehicle was purchased with a loan, the title is mailed to the lienholder.

Aside from needing a duplicate if you lose your car's title, you'll need it if and when you sell it. You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at most NH Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices. To get a duplicate title:

  • Fill out an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form TDMV 18 (PDF))
  • If a vehicle is jointly owned, all of the owners must sign the application for a duplicate title
    • Provide the drivers license number of all owners
  • Pay a fee of $25 by check or money order, made payable to the "State of NH"
  • You can deliver the form and payment to the Salem DMV Office at 154 Main Street, or mail everything to:
    NH Department of Safety
    DMV - Title Bureau
    23 Hazen Drive
    Concord, NH 03305

A duplicate title will be mailed to you within 10 business days. The Town Clerk's Office does not hold vehicle titles, nor do we provide the duplicates/replacements.

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License?
2. How do I register or transfer plates to a vehicle, motorcycle or trailer (utility, boat or camper) in Salem?
3. I just moved to Salem. How do I register my vehicle(s)?
4. How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death, divorce or marriage certificate?
5. We just got married in New Hampshire. What do we do now?
6. How do I get a landfill/dump permit and where is the landfill/dump located?
7. How do I license my dog?
8. I did not receive my Motor Vehicle Renewal Notice, what should I do?
9. I can't find my vehicle's title. Where do I get a new one?
10. How do I register to vote?
11. Where do I get a fishing/hunting license?
12. Where do I get a business license?
13. When are elections held?
14. Where do I register my boat? What will it cost?
15. Where can I dispose of construction debris or wood?
16. What will it cost to register my car, motorcycle or trailer in the Town of Salem?
17. What forms of payment does the Town accept?
18. Where do I vote?
19. How do I find a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony?
20. Where do I get a passport? Where do I get a Social Security card?
21. Where can I do genealogy research?