You can conveniently apply for a duplicate or replacement Title, and it takes no more than a few minutes of your time. In New Hampshire, titles are processed by the Division of Motor Vehicles - Bureau of Title and Anti-Theft. When you want to sell your car, you'll need to supply the vehicle title. Titles can become lost, stolen, damaged or illegible, necessitating their replacement. A duplicate title is easy to acquire with a few forms and supporting documents. Note: When there is a lien on a title, such as when the vehicle was purchased with a loan, the title is mailed to the lienholder.
Aside from needing a duplicate if you lose your car's title, you'll need it if and when you sell it. You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at most NH Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices. To get a duplicate title:
- Fill out an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form TDMV 18 (PDF))
- If a vehicle is jointly owned, all of the owners must sign the application for a duplicate title
- Provide the drivers license number of all owners
- Pay a fee of $25 by check or money order, made payable to the "State of NH"
- You can deliver the form and payment to the Salem DMV Office at 154 Main Street, or mail everything to:
NH Department of Safety
DMV - Title Bureau
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
A duplicate title will be mailed to you within 10 business days. The Town Clerk's Office does not hold vehicle titles, nor do we provide the duplicates/replacements.