Permitting Information

Welcome to the Salem Municipal Services - Engineering Division permitting webpage. The Town of Salem requires that contractors obtain a permit for work done within rights-of-way, whether public or private, throughout town. The permit must be signed by the contactor and the Town to be valid. Work shall not start until a permit has been approved. The following are types of work activities requiring permits: Water Service, Sewer Service, Gas Service, Grease Interceptor, Driveway, and Street Excavation.

How to Obtain an Engineering Permit

  1. Review Street Excavation Permit Regulations (PDF).
  2. Complete Engineering Permit Application (PDF) (fillable). 
    Note: For Street Opening Permits, the Application must be signed by the Police Department for Traffic Management Plan approval.
  3. Obtain current Bonds and Insurances (e.g. General Liability and Workers Compensation), per application.
    1. $1,000 Bond for Water Service, Sewer Service, Grease Interceptor and Driveway Permits
    2. $5,000 Bond for Gas Service and Street Opening Permits
  4. Submit complete Engineering Permit Application, Bonds, and Insurances to Engineering Division.
    1. Applications that do not require a fee, current bonds, or insurances can be emailed to Jim Brown at
    2. Applications that require a fee must be placed in a sealed envelope addressed to the Engineering Division and can be delivered to the Town Hall or mailed to the following address:

      Town of Salem
      Engineering Division
      33 Geremonty Drive
      Salem, NH 03079
  1. Call the Engineering Division at 603-890-2036 to confirm that all information has been received. If information is received and completed, the Engineering Division will authorize you to schedule your work.
  2. Contact the Engineering Division and/or the Utility Division a minimum of forty-eight (48) hours in advance of starting the work to schedule an inspection. It is the contractor's responsibility to schedule inspections.
  3. Schedule Police Detail per Engineering Permit Regulations.

Note: All excavations require that DigSafe be contacted. In the event that DigSafe shuts down its service and/or any utility cannot do its mark-outs, no work will be permitted to proceed.